Quiz Night 62 — June 3, 2008
Baseball Music (In honor of the 100th Anniversary of Take Me Out to the Ballgame)
1. Name the artist who uses a Louisville Slugger Guitar when singing his song “Centerfield”
2. What John Denver song is sung at the 7th inning stretch at Baltimore’s Camden yards?
3. On what team did Country singer Garth Brooks play Spring Training baseball in 1999?
4. In the movie 'A League of their Own' who played outfield and also sang during the closing credits?
5. In the musical 'Damn Yankees' the main character, Joe, is a fan of which baseball team?
6. What Don Henley song has the same title as a book by Roger Kahn about the Brooklyn Dodgers?
7. Since 9/11 what other patriotic song is sung at ballgames aside from the National Anthem?
8. Name the song writer of the popular “Talkin’ Baseball” songs?
9. What Neil Diamond song is sung at almost every Red Sox, Nationals and New York Mets home game?
10. Name the baseball player who gets a mention in Paul Simon’s song Mrs. Robinson?
China (2008 Summer Olympics location)
1. What is the largest city in population in China
2. The Chinese call their country "Zhongguo," which means what in English?
3. How many stars are on the Chineese flag?
4. Lhasa is the capital city of what province in China
5. Name the product, grown in India, which was traded by the British for tea in the 19th Century?
6. Name the longest river in China?
7. How many time zones does China have?
8. After the Nationalists lost the Chinese civil war, where did they flee to?
9. Whose portrait overlooks Tiananmen Square in Beijing
10. Name the port city and former capital, occupied by the Japanese from 1937 to 1945, and the site of a massacre in 1937.
Comic Strip Art (Id the strips shown—not all are current)
Fictional Games & Sports
1. What does Alice use instead of mallets to play croquet in Wonderland?
2. Tri-dimensional chess was first seen on what television show?
3. What 1975 movie starring James Caan centers on a deadly sport in the year 2018
4. Electro-magnetic golf and escalator squash are two sports described in what 1932 novel by Huxley?
5. Name the 1998 movie and sport which combined basketball with baseball.
6. What is the name of the fictional baseball team in the poem “Casey at Bat”
7. Name the broomstick based sport is played in the Harry Potter novels
8. What real sport does Paul Newman play in a 1977 movie about a fictional Team called the Charlestown Chiefs?
9. The Albuquerque Isotopes, a minor league baseball team got its name from the Springfield Isotopes, a fictional baseball team on what television show?
10. Name the Richard Bachman novel about a deadly future game show, which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie version
Founding Fathers (Name the country to whom the following person is considered the fdg father)
1. Otto von Bismark
2. Mustafa Kemal Atatürk
3. Sir Henry Parkes
4. Joseph Jenkins Roberts
5. Prince William 1 of Orange
6. Ahmad Shah Abdali
7. Giuseppe Garibaldi
8. Simon Bolivar
9. Bernardo O'Higgins and José Miguel Carrera
10. Mahatma Gandhi
Oil & Gasoline
1. Name the country which is the second largest producer of crude oil in the world
2. Oil and Gas is usually found in Sedimentary, Igneous, or Metamorphic rock formations
3. Name the only OPEC country in the Americas?
4. Name the ship which spilled 10 million gallons of crude oil in Prince William Sound in 1989?
5. The absence of what substance in crude oil makes it “Sweet”
6. What animal may have been saved from extinction by the discovery of an inexpensive refining process to make kerosene?
7. How many US Gallons in a Barrel of Oil?
8. What is the largest oil company in the world, by revenue?
9. Most British Commonwealth countries (except Canada) use what term for gasoline?
10. The US oil industry got its start in the 1850s in Titusville in what state?
Tie Breaker: What was the June 3, 2008 futures closing cost in dollars and cents of a barrel of crude oil set for July delivery?